What you’ll need to make the perfect Cheerleader Megaphone Cake & Pom Pom Cupcakes
- cake mix
- 16oz. container of frosting to frost the megaphone cake (color theme #1)
- 16 oz. container of frosting to frost the pom pom cupcakes, outline the megaphone and write a birthday message on the cake (color theme #2)
- food coloring to tint the frosting to match the color theme of your party
- 2 cupcake holders to make the pom pom cupcakes in
- colored sprinkles to add to the pom pom cupcakes or coconut flakes to add a “fluff” look
Here are some guidelines for how to choose the size of your cake:
9″ x 13″ Rectangle pan serves 12-18 guests ( 1 mix & 1 frosting)
18″ x 13″ Rectangle pan serves 18-28 guests (2 mix & 2 frosting)
Because you will be cutting the cake into a megaphone shape, you will be discarding some of the cake, so I recommend to bake extra cupcakes so that you have enough to serve all of your guests. You can even bake an extra rectangular cake to accommodate more people and and just keep behind the scenes. Shhh…. don’t tell anyone.
Once the cake is baked, cut out a megaphone/triangular shape and assemble it onto a cake board. Use the extra pieces of cake to create a handle for the megaphone.
Using frosting in one of the two themed colors, frost the entire megaphone. Using a piping bag with a writing tip, outline the outside edge of the megaphone with the 2nd color of frosting and write a cheerful message on the cake for the birthday girl. Something like “Hooray for Alyssa”. Next Frost the two pom pom cupcakes with the same color frosting that you used to outline the cake. Use your colored sprinkles or coconut flakes to add some depth and fluff to the poms. You could also put the birthday girl’s age on the pom poms, if she is in the double digits or add our Cheer Mania customized cupcake flag toppers.
Now it’s time to enjoy your super cool Cheerleading Megaphone Cake!